Principal’s End of Year Message
Dear students, parents/carers, staff and friends of Gungahlin College
I’d like to take this opportunity to wish you and your families the very best for the holiday period.
It has been a busy year which seemed to go at lightning speed!
Congratulations to our graduating class of 2017! It was an absolute privilege to farewell this group at their Graduation Ceremony last Wednesday. As I said at the Ceremony – they are all so unique and special.
For our Year 12 class of 2018 we look forward to supporting you through a big year and helping you to maximise every opportunity!
There have been so many highlights for the College in 2017 and this year, in keeping with the progressive nature of Gungahlin College, we have replaced the year book with a Curated Google Gallery. You will receive an email with a link and password so you can download photos, send on to relatives interstate or overseas, as much as you wish.
Some of the highlights of the year have been:
- Birds artwork installation at the Marketplace
- Growing connection with community and business in the Gungahlin region – of particular note is McGrath Real Estate and Canberra Metro.
- The successful introduction of North Training – our Vocational Education Registered Training Organisation joint venture with Dickson College
- Limelight performances and exhibitions
- Gozzart Arts Festival
- Our IT Maths and Science students participating in national competitions and conferences
- Overseas excursions to USA, Korea and World Challenge trip to Vietnam and Cambodia
- Student initiative – Collective Theatre
- Our new look and feel assemblies – celebrating our students
- Our Big Day In
- Our major production – Ubu Roi
- Year 12 Brunch and uniform toss
- Year 11 Orientation Day
- And of course our Year 12 Formal and Graduation Ceremony
It has been important to me to listen and be genuinely responsive to our parent community. Working together, we have fine-tuned and revamped our parent forums to provide parents/carers with the information that they most need to know to support their young person through this last phase of schooling. Gaining the Senior Secondary Certificate and complying with the BSSS (Board of Senior Secondary Studies) can be a complex business and this year’s parent forums – which we kept strictly to 60 minutes – have been extremely successful in increasing understanding of the ACT Senior Secondary system. I thank especially Lyndal Reid (P&C President) and Inge Saris (Board Chair) for supporting me in this initiative. Look out for more of these parent forums in 2018.
This year, Tom Donda received our highest ATAR and our College had the largest Year 12 graduating group in the ACT. 80% of those students studying a Tertiary package received an ATAR which will get them direct entry into university. Gungahlin College had the largest cohort of VET graduates in the ACT system as well. I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate Gungahlin College staff for their work with students to help create another successful year.
Last Wednesday, as part of our graduation celebrations, a number of special awards were presented to our Graduating students, you will find a list of awards and recipients below.
To our new incoming students – get ready for a fast paced, action packed couple of years! In 2018 we have increased our resources in supporting your pastoral care at college through a larger house system. This will be run largely by the voices of our students, giving students more agency and time to ‘run with’ and ‘build on’ their ideas.
For our incoming Year 10 SMART (Science, Maths and Related Technologies) students, know that it’s one of our biggest groups yet and your teacher Nicola has already got big plans for you.
I look forward seeing you at College next year. Year 11 and Year 10 SMART students on Monday 5 February and Year 12 students on Tuesday 6 February .
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
2017 Year 12 Graduation Awards
- Outstanding Academic Achievement Tertiary – Thomas Donda
- Outstanding Academic Achievement Accredited – Madeleine Wynne
- Outstanding Academic Achievement Vocational Studies – Alexandra Watson
- Principal’s Award – Sophia Engelhardt
- Gungahlin Lions Club Community Service Award – Chantelle Pellegrini
- Gungahlin Rotary Club All Rounder Award and Caltex All Rounder Award – Lucinda Antcliff
- Department of Defence Long Tan Award – Amy Halford
- Excellence in Performing Arts (sponsored by Pointe2Pointe) – Rhys Kerec
- Excellence in Visual Arts (sponsored by Ted’s Camera Store) – Natasha Miller
- Excellence in English (sponsored by Book Face) – Jordan Amos
- Excellence in History (sponsored by Book Face) – Jordyn McFerran
- Aspire and Inspire Award (sponsored by This Cafe) – Siobhan Engeler
- Excellence in IT (sponsored by Canberra Metro) – Dion Misic
- Excellence in Design Technology (sponsored by Canberra Metro) – Aidan Baron
- Excellence in Languages (sponsored by Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Australia) – Lucinda Antcliff
- ANU Engage Asia Award (sponsored by ANU) – Elissa Burt
- Excellence in Mathematics (sponsored by McGrath Real Estate Gungahlin) – Thomas Donda
- Sportswoman of the Year (sponsored by Gungahlin Jets) – Letiesha Whyte
- Sportsman of the Year (sponsored by Gungahlin Jets) – Todd Sherd
- Excellence in Science (sponsored by McGrath Real Estate Gungahlin) – Steven Westhead
- Excellence in Accounting (sponsored by Chartered Accountants of Australia and New Zealand) – Alysha Lim
- Excellence in Business (sponsored by Yeend & Associates) – Flynn Marshall
- Excellence in Business Admin (sponsored by Yeend & Associates) – Elle Woodrow
- Excellence in Economics (sponsored by Service One Alliance Bank) – Sayalee Surve
- Excellence in Legal Studies (sponsored by Aulich Criminal Law) – Grace Holt
- Excellence in Psychology (sponsored by Northside Psychology) – Tara Swanton
- Excellence in Sociology (sponsored by Service One Alliance Bank) – Jordan Amos
- Excellence in Vocational Education (sponsored by Dillon Landscaping) – Kai Fisher