What is on – Week 17
YEAR 12 GRADUATION
Graduation tickets (no charge) are now available for collection from the Gungahlin College Front Office until Wednesday 29 November.
The Gungahlin College Graduation Ceremony for graduating Year 12 students and their families will be held on Wednesday 13 December at the Royal Theatre, National Convention Centre, 31 Constitution Avenue, Canberra from 1.30–4.00pm.
All students are required to attend Feedback Day on Wednesday 22 November. Valuable feedback will be provided around student performance. Additionally, Year 12 students will be issued with their leavers form during Connect (to be returned on Wednesday 29 November after final package checks).
A Line 9.00–9.30am
B Line 9.30–10.00am
C Line 10.00–10.30am
D Line 10.30–11.00am
E Line 11.00–11.30am
F Line 11.30am–12.00m
G Line 12.00–12.30pm
H Line 12.30–1.00pm
N Line 1.00–1.30pm
On Monday 27 November at 9.00am all unit scores and grades for all units will be posted in faculty areas. It is essential that students check these for accuracy as there is only one day to appeal for Year 12 students and one week to appeal for Year 11 students.
YEAR 12 LEAVERS PROCESS
Year 12 leavers forms will be issued in Connect on Feedback Day, Wednesday 22 November. Students are encouraged to complete as much as they can of the leavers process between then and the Year 12 Brunch and final package check on Wednesday 29 November. Doing this early will avoid long queues on Brunch day.
YEAR 12 FORMAL
The Gungahlin College Year 12 Formal is on this Thursday 23 November at the National Arboretum. Arrivals from 5.00pm, doors open at 6.30pm. Tickets includes meal, non-alcoholic drinks, DJ, photographer, photo booth, venue and security.
Arrivals, access and parking
- Arrivals commence at 5.00pm, there are lots of lovely areas near the Arboretum to take photos, so take advantage of them!
- Please note that ACT Policing have been notified of all formal dates and will be in attendance. The Arboretum also has security cameras in the car park. This is to ensure formal car drivers are well behaved.
- It is highly recommend that all vehicles travelling in from the city or north side drive to Cotter Road and return on the Tuggeranong Parkway to enter from the south. This may avoid some of the rush hour congestion at the junction of Forest Drive.
- Once inside the entry gates please follow the signage directing formal vehicles separately to all other vehicles – family and friends to turn left after the main gate. The speed limit is 40km/h. Please slow down to 10km/h when approaching and driving in car parks.
- Please follow the instructions of traffic marshals and security personnel to ensure that everybody arrives safely and on time.
- Please park only in the unsealed overflow car park; no vehicles are to park on roadsides or verges or to drive through landscape areas of any kind.
- Please be patient when leaving. Take special care for those who may be crossing roads to access the overflow car park. Then when accessing the on-ramps to the Tuggeranong Parkway.
Please respect that the National Arboretum is a smoke-free site.
YEAR 12 BRUNCH, FINAL PACKAGE CHECK AND UNIFORM TOSS – WEDNESDAY 29 NOVEMBER
Commencing at 10.00am on Wednesday 29 November all Year 12 graduating students are invited to attend for a celebratory farewell brunch on us!
The brunch also includes the memorable annual uniform toss, whereby students can donate items of uniform to the P&C for incoming students to use. At 10.30am there will be a FINAL package check. It is essential that ALL students attend and sign off on the final composition of their Senior Secondary Certificate and Tertiary Entrance Statement. VET competencies will also be checked for a final time.
YEAR 10 GRADUATION
Gungahlin College Graduation Ceremony for the Year 10 SMART program will be held on Thursday 7 December at 5.30pm in the Gungahlin College Theatre.
GUNGAHLIN ALUMNI TUTORS AND RAISING HOPE TUTORS
Throughout the year Gungahlin Alumni Tutors (GATs) have been volunteering as tutors for current students helping in all subject areas. GATs work with individual students or small groups using their knowledge to assist current students. It is fantastic to see the alumni returning to the College and adding to the Vibrant Community. Raising Hope Tutors also assist students individually and in small groups.
The GAT team is growing offering more students the opportunity for free tutoring in specific subject areas. These sessions occur during Blended Learning and will be advertised on Schoology early next year. There is also Study Support in the library throughout the day.
If you are in Year 12 and interested in becoming a Gungahlin Alumni Tutor next year please email Fred Hayes. Becoming a GAT is a rewarding way to stay connected to the College and continue your own learning. Students really appreciate the support GATs and Raising Hope tutors provide. Here is some feedback from a student who worked with Areta, a Raising Hope Tutor currently studying Science at the ANU:
Thank you very much for assisting me these last couple of weeks. You have helped both my confidence in Science and with the content, it was really nice to have your help and you have been very kind and supportive through all my questions.
Thank you to all of our tutors from 2017!
HEALTHY HEADSPACE SKILLS WORKSHOPS
The next headspace workshop is Thursday 23 November at 5.30pm. The topic is managing my Feelings. See the Managing My Feelings flyer for more information and bookings.
IMPORTANT DATES WEEK 17
Wednesday 22 November
- Feedback Day
Thursday 23 November
- Year 12 Formal, National Arboretum, arrivals from 5.00pm
IMPORTANT DATES WEEK 18
Wednesday 29 November
- Year 12 Brunch and uniform toss, 10.00am
- Year 12 leavers forms due by 12.00pm
- Last day to collect Year 12 Graduation tickets